Friday, July 6, 2012

PILGRIMAGE JOURNAL FOR FRIDAY, JULY 6


FRIDAY, JULY 6: Masai Mara Safari, Optional tour of a Masai Mara Village

Matthew 9:9-13 – The calling of Matthew

As Jesus passed by, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat with Jesus and his disciples. The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” He heard this and said, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”



Reflection written by Kevyn Kurata, traveled with mother, Lynn in 2011 and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with Kristina, Peter, and Arthur

I felt like I had a lot to figure out after graduating from college last summer, so when my mom offered, I jumped at the opportunity to visit Africa and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (like most recent graduates, I happily put off finding a job for another month or so). I hoped to return to the US with clarity on how I wanted to live post-college. Although my initial expectations were unrealistic, my experiences in Africa helped me to cope with a momentous transition in my life.

On Kilimanjaro, I remember a fellow climber explaining his reasons for coming to Africa, he pointed out “We are all here because we have our own mountains to climb. We will eventually have to go home.” This metaphor may sound cliché, but it resonated with me for the rest of the trip. While in Dandora, I was introduced to the systemic problems that the community deals with—no description or picture will ever convey my emotional response to the sounds and smells of the dumpsite. Despite political corruption, poverty, and health issues, the people I met were a part of a vibrant and thriving community that remained optimistic that they could affect positive change. Their resiliency gave me a better perspective on how to approach problems in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment